Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Urge To Lose

I think I am ready to make a serious commitment to lose some weight. I would love to lose about 50 pounds or so. I realize that even if I lost the 50 pounds I would still be a large man because for some reason God saw fit to give me this massive bone structure that I carry around daily.

Keeping on a schedule of working out and exercising has never really been an issue for me. That is the easy part. My problem is cutting out the sweets. I have always been a chronic sweets binge eater. It is part of the very fabric of my being.

I like the thought of weighing 50 pounds less than I do right now but then I think what if I do it all in vain. I could lose the weight and look really good for a month and then get hit by a car driven by some distracted teenager. Then I would have to lie there on the sidewalk thinking "Goddamnit Life, You Son Of Bitch. You Screwed Me" as I slowly died. Or I could fall off of a roof at work and as I fell everything would go into slow motion and I would think of all the precious Take 5 candy bars I turned away from just to look good to the ground as I hit it.

If I did lose weight I'm sure it would prolong my life in someway but wouldn't that make me a procrastinator. Wouldn't I just be putting off the inevitable?

No comments: